Thursday, May 17, 2007

Configuring Pidgin for Google Apps

Google's instructions for configuring Pidgin with Google Talk have a broken link to instructions for using Google Apps with a corporate domain.

So here's how I configured Pidgin to work with a corporate Google Apps account:

1. Select "Add/Edit" from the Accounts menu, then press the "Add" button.

2. Fill in fields on the basic tab.

  • Protocol: XMPP
  • Screen name: johndoe
  • Server: example.com
  • Resource: Home
  • Password: ********
  • Local alias: John
3. Fill in fields on the advanced tab.
  • [x] Force old (port 5223) SSL
  • [ ] Allow plaintext over unencrypted streams
  • Connect port: 5223
  • Connect server: talk.google.com
  • Proxy type: Use GNOME Proxy Settings

4. Press "Save". Don't "Register", because your username should already be assigned.

25 comments:

Chris said...

Thanks for this. The official google help pages forget to mention the settings for the advanced tab.

vHellmet said...

Yea.. the help page is quite unhelpful.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic ... I used these instructions to configure Gaim to work for my Google Apps premium account.

Thanks a lot.

Anonymous said...

THANKS!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you this is very helpful post.

Wouldn't it be nice if Google allowed us to give feedback ON the faulty instructions page? I clicked, "NO, this page has not been helpful", but there was no method to explain WHY it was not helpful.

Note: I am not behind a proxy, but I had to specifically choose, 'No Proxy' vs. 'Use Global Proxy Settings'.

Unknown said...

Thanks. These instructions worked for me where the official instructions did not.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the setup instructions! I looked all over for these settings. You rock!

Anonymous said...

Thanks!

The Ignorant said...

Thx. It worked for me too. Google help didnt work here.

Anonymous said...

Even though I follow the new instruction, I still unable to use the pidgin for Google talk.

Dovid said...

thanx

appreciate u taking you time and telling us common folk what 2 do

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.

Anonymous said...

Thanks After trying all it worked I think pidgin is best just need tweaking for gtalk.

Anonymous said...

Thanks alot for this.

Anonymous said...

big thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

thanks a lot

Unknown said...

Thanks a lot. Worked for me too.

Though my partner who uses Ubuntu 8.10 did not have to do these settings, but I'm using Fedora 10, and needed to do these.

Unknown said...

Correction: I'm using Ubunto 9.10 on another machine and needed to do the changes as well!

Andrea said...

great! ;)

it's working

Rebecca F said...

Thanks... I finally got it working now!

Anonymous said...

What is Gnome Proxy settings?

Knight Samar said...

Hey thanks a ton!

Worked for me too :)

makuchaku said...

Nice... worked straight outta box :)
Thanks!
--
Maku
http://makuchaku.in

Alfonso GraƱa said...

Thanks!!